Seems this is always the hot topic for SoCal evening weddings. Our California culture is a much more laid back and trendy which lends to our dress speaking to that, especially at special occasions. “Dressing Up” for so many tends to be a nice top/dress shirt, dark jeans and maybe a sports coat/blazer.
In that many of my couples are so nervous their family and friends will arrive at their classy late afternoon/evening wedding in jeans and the infamous Chuck Taylors, I thought instead of including tear sheets of proper attire in their wedding invitation, why not post a simple blog with a few points for those needing a little clarity.
Thank you to friends at Where To Get Engaged for so delicately stating our men’s fashion points.
For the Gentlemen
You would be expected to go with a dark suit, button down dress shirt and tie with dark socks and dress shoes. Some say you should always wear a white dress shirt for an evening wedding because it’s more traditional and dressy than a colored shirt (like blue or pink), but I would leave that up to personal preference.
Some Dos and Don’ts:
1. Do not wear a white suit at an evening wedding.
2. Do not wear a tuxedo before 5:00 pm.
3. Do not wear sneakers, sandals, jeans, cargo pants, shorts (especially jean shorts, otherwise known as “jorts”), or any shirt that’s not a button down dress shirt
For the Ladies
Ladies don’t usually have as difficult a time deciphering appropriate dress attire, however there are the unfortunate exceptions.
Some Dos and Don’ts:
1. Do not wear white (unless requested by the couple) –you don’t want to look as if you’re trying to upstage the bride on her big day…she should be the only one wearing any shade that closely resembles white!
2. Do not wear a full length gown to a wedding before 5:00 pm.
3. Do try to avoid wearing pantyhose or tights for spring or summer weddings. While they may cover unsightly pale legs, they will be awfully uncomfortable and look out of place. You may want to get a spray tan right before a big event where you’ll be wearing a short dress; it works wonders for the legs and gives a nice, clean appearance!
1. Do take your cue from the couple’s Wedding Invitation as to the style of their wedding in order to the appropriate dress.
2. Do wear something less formal than the wedding party. If you’re not sure about their attire, send a quick text to one in the Wedding Party to get an idea of what they’ll be wearing. You wouldn’t want to show up in a tuxedo or sassy party dress and stiletto heels if the party is wearing khakis and a button-down or a sundress and flats!
- Evening Wedding Wear Essentials (mademan.com)
- Formal Wedding Wear Essentials (mademan.com)
- What To Wear For Fall Wedding (mademan.com)