I have had numerous secret folders over the years tucked away for women who began the planning process well before they found a man to marry. Are these some sort of strange weird women? No, they are young, professional, intelligent, strong women who know what they want.
If we are honest, most women have been secretly planning their wedding since they were probably five or six years old. For almost two years, my daughter has been talking about her orange and gray wedding (she’s now six). We (most women) love weddings. We love flowers and princess gowns and tiaras and romantic lighting, candles and dancing. We love the thought of the day…the thought of being the most beautiful person in the room.
Out of the many secret folders I have started, two are celebrating their wedding anniversaries this year…and a couple are planning their big day (with a fiancé in hand) as I write this.
Now obviously, styles change, sizes change, finances change and sometimes even our outlooks change…so, planning too far in advance could be difficult to say the least. However, there are a few fun ways to make the planning a fun, non-psychotic journey.
1. Don’t get too specific…pick some colors you like, but don’t necessarily pick the exact location and date. Pick some dress styles, but to get hung up on specific designers.
2. Remember to separate dream from reality…dream and dream well, but remember that when the time comes…reality sometimes has a different outlook.
3. Love it, pin it…whether you pin it in a folder at home or online via Pinterest, have fun piecing together all the many trends and ideas you can. Variety is your friend.
4. Keep it under wraps…nothing says commitment on a first date like finding a giant folder with tons of wedding clippings. It’s okay to dream…just don’t scare anyone away. Did I say that nice enough? (hope so)
5. Keep your chin up…being single is not a curse. Enjoy the moment you are in…right now. It will make enjoying the next moments in your life much easier and more beautiful.